“Malware Analyst’s Cookbook” is the latest master piece in the Malware Analysis field which covers almost all facets of the subject from all possible angles. I haven’t seen any book like this which covers everything that Malware Analyist will ever need starting from basics to advanced analysis.
Here is the core information about the book,
Title: Malware Analyst’s Cookbook and DVD
Author: Michael Ligh, Steven Adair, Blake Hartstein, Matthew Richard
Hardcover: 744 pages
Release Date: November 2, 2010
Here is the ‘Table of Contents’
- Chapter 1 – Anonymizing Your Activities.
- Chapter 2 – Honeypots.
- Chapter 3 – Malware Classification.
- Chapter 4 – Sandboxes and Multi-AV Scanners.
- Chapter 5 – Researching Domains and IP Addresses.
- Chapter 6 – Documents, Shellcode, and URLs.
- Chapter 7 – Malware Labs.
- Chapter 8 – Automation.
- Chapter 9 – Dynamic Analysis.
- Chapter 10 – Malware Forensics.
- Chapter 11 – Debugging Malware.
- Chapter 12 – De-Obfuscation.
- Chapter 13 – Working with DLLs.
- Chapter 14 – Kernel Debugging.
- Chapter 15 – Memory Forensics with Volatility.
- Chapter 16 – Memory Forensics: Code Injection and Extraction.
- Chapter 17 – Memory Forensics: Rootkits.
- Chapter 18 – Memory Forensics: Network and Registry.
Highlights of this book
- Enormous compilation on Malware Analysis to date in 700+ pages spread over 18 chapters
- Latest information – tools, trends & techniques
- Practical – real code examples, scenarios & case studies from the field
- Advanced topics such as Malware Debugging, Dynamic Analysis, Memory Forensics, Rootkit Analysis etc
- Points to right tools and shows how to use them in a smart way for better results.
- Learn how to create your own quick scripts for automation
- Wide Platform coverage -Windows, Linux & Mac (Though more of Windows, of course 😉 )
- Includes DVD – Tools and Examples organized as per chapter.
If you are looking for mastering some of the advanced topics such as Memory Forensics, Rootkit Analysis etc then you need to look for other dedicated titles. But this book does true and complete justice to all topics from the Malware Analyst’s point. What separates this book from other similar books is its huge compilation over different Malware topics and the latest information on the Malware Anlysis.
To summarize all this in one line, this is highly recommended book for ‘Malware Analysis’ for anyone either beginner or expert !
For other reviews on top security books move on to our ‘Book of the Month’ list.
Sample Chapter: Anonymizing Your Activities
eBook : http://pastebin.com/22L5Rp45
No Comments Yet